It all began 6 years ago, we had first met and we both knew, very well, that we were meant for each other. I liked where this was going because automatically, within the first two hours we spoke to each other, we had so much in common, but so many differences. We liked each other for who we were and not for our external preferences. As time went on, we fell in love; we had something special, something that comes only a few times in ones life. I didn’t want to give that up and neither did you. We knew too much about each other; it was great… So why give that up?
We don’t know how it happened but it did; we were starting to drift away. I became so obsessed with my dream for a ballet scholarship, and you backed me up the whole way. And I admit it, I started to change! The scholarship changed my whole view on life; all I could think of was that scholarship and I couldn’t care less for anything else. You bought flowers for me, you picked me up from practice, and you called me at night to tell me you love me. All these miniscule acts you did for me, and I didn’t it acknowledge it at all. My ideas of a healthy lifestyle were thrown away; I would start drinking, smoking, all of these things that were so unlike me. And all you did was you tried to get me to stop, but I pushed you away; farther and farther every single time. And yet, you stood by me; you amazed me until the end.
We would still get together at each other’s house; but each day we drifted. Instead of cuddling on the couch with a blanket over our feet, the fire roaring; no, that didn’t happen anymore. We would now be sitting on opposite ends of the couch, you would reach for my hand and I would pull away. When I would get up off the couch to go get a drink from the kitchen, you would follow, and I would yell. For no reason, I would yell! And you’d still be there! I’d pull out a bottle of wine from the cabinet behind your back, and when you found out, you’d be so upset! But I didn’t care; I needed it. The wine helped me cope with my pain, with all the stress. Where once upon a time, you would be my stress reliever; it was now some alcoholic beverage that I would always tell myself that I would never ever touch. And when you pulled the wine from my lips and set it down on the table, you looked me in the eyes with that stare; your eyes were tearing; you looked down and you nodded your head from left to right in such deep disappointment. You took your jacket and left and I can’t believe I even had the guts to pick up that glass of wine before I came running after you.
That’s when I knew it had to stop. After choosing some drink above you? No, that’s not allowed to happen. I changed everything; from what I ate, what I drank, to how I did things, how I coped with everything. I stopped drinking so much, I stopped smoking, I stopped focusing my life on one small purpose. But most importantly, I apologized to you; and you accepted my apology without even giving a second thought. I ran into your arms and I cried, repeating those words over and over again; “I was wrong.” You said it so softly, so subtly, “it’s okay.” My stomach sank and I cried; I collapsed to the floor grabbing your knees, “you dig me up from under what is covering the better part of me. Remind me that we’ll always have each other when everything else is gone.”
“I’ll remind you that we’ll always have each other when everything else is gone.”
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment